Fathers play an essential role in the development and well-being of their children. They can provide love, support, and guidance to their children. In addition, dads involved in their children’s lives can help them develop strong self-esteem and confidence. I will discuss the essential qualities of a good dad that will transform your family relationship in no time if practised.
I owe much of this post to Dermot Cotulli, whose Father’s Day message was adapted.
A good father is one of the most unsung, unpraised, unnoticed, and yet one of the most valuable assets in our society.Billy Graham
Why is it essential to be a good father?
1. Good fathers are likelier to be involved in their children’s lives.
2. Good fathers help their children learn how to interact with others and develop social skills.
3. Good fathers provide emotional support for their children and help them deal with difficult situations.
4. Good fathers set a positive example for their children, which can lead to better academic performance and overall success in life.
5. Good fathers teach their children essential life lessons, such as the importance of hard work, responsibility, and respect.
What are the qualities of a good dad?
1. Respect for his spouse
A good dad respects his children’s mother and continues to revisit and work on his relationship with her. However, he realises that the best thing he can do for his children is to have a loving and peaceful relationship with their mother. By so doing, he becomes an irresistible husband.
A good father provides for his children and shows through his example that hard work isn’t something to be afraid of. He instils into his children the belief that hard work brings rewards to the family, not just the individual.
3. Disciplinary action
A good dad is a disciplinarian. Your job is to teach your children how to do what is right regardless of how they feel at any given time. The Bible urges fathers to “train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it.”
4. Raising great children
A great father focuses on raising good adults, not just good kids. Even when you start out as a new parent, you must realise that one day your children will no longer be living with you. Life is very uncertain. Even though you can’t control what happens to your children, you can give them the tools they’ll need to navigate the significant issues they’ll face in the future.
5. Exemplary leadership
A good dad leads by example, always! Your kids are watching you all the time. You’re setting a standard for them whether you realise it or not.
Would you feel happy if your kids were to emulate the traits they see in you today later in their lives? Also, will their mother agree with you?
6. The power of influence and negotiation
A good father teaches his children that servant leadership is a superpower and a sign of true strength. It would help if you did not try to always get your way with your children based on “being the boss”. Instead, it would help if you tried negotiating with them more often.
Unfortunately, our world is predisposed to power leadership right now.
You can either use your position to dictate to others or lead them by your relationships, even if you are a servant or have no title.
7. Belief in future dreams
A good dad supports his children and provides a sense of belief in them and their goals, giving them the confidence to reach their potential. Don’t stifle your children’s dreams, no matter how unrealistic they may sound to you now. The greatest gift you can give your children is to believe in their dreams to become whatever they want.
8. Control of anger
A good dad will manage his anger without letting it become the wedge that shatters his family. Poor anger management is the bane of most toxic relationships and domestic violence.
Anybody can become angry -that is easy. But to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way- that is not within everybody’s power and is not easy.Aristotle
A good dad is very dependable. When they say they’ll do something, they do it. When they say they’ll be somewhere, they keep to their words. Their word is their bond.
One of the most significant things our kids need to know is that they can trust us to have their back.
What are some challenges of fatherhood?
1. Being a role model: As a father, you are a role model for your children. Therefore, you need to set a good example for them to follow. That can be challenging at times, but it is essential to remember that your children are watching you and learning from you.
2. Financial provisioning: It is essential to provide for your family, but this can be challenging if you are not earning enough money or have a lot of debt. Try to make wise financial decisions and create a budget that will help you meet your family’s needs.
3. Balancing work and family: Being a father is a full-time job, and balancing work and child-rearing responsibilities can be daunting. When working full-time, you may feel like you’re missing out on essential aspects of your child’s life.
Please, make time for your family and take advantage of flexible work arrangements. Also, talk to your partner about sharing parenting responsibilities.
4. Being patient: Children can sometimes be frustrating, so it is essential to be patient with them. Remember that they are still learning and growing, and they will make mistakes along the way
Being a father is a full-time job, as dads play a vital role in their children’s lives.
A good father is patient, loving, and supportive. He sets a positive example for his children and helps them to grow into responsible and successful adults. A good father is someone who his children can look up to and admire.
Fathers can make a difference in their children’s lives by being involved in their upbringing.
How good is your relationship with your children?
I would love to hear your thoughts.
Please leave your comments below, or let’s continue the discussion on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or Linkedin.
Leave a Reply