Love is in the air! Valentine’s Day is fast approaching, and it’s time to start planning the perfect day for you and your loved one. Whether you’re a couple with young children or just the two of you, there’s no shortage of fun activities to celebrate your love. If you’re planning a grand gesture or a simple act of kindness, the options for saying “I love you” are limitless. In this blog post, we’ve rounded up 50 unique Valentine’s Day ideas to help you show your spouse just how much you care.
So, get ready to fall in love all over again!
Valentine’s Day is celebrated on February 14 every year worldwide. This tradition originated in AD 496 as a Christian feast day honouring Saint Valentine of Rome, who died in AD 269. But Valentine’s Day has eventually become a vast cultural and commercial celebration of romantic love. Most couples express their love for each other by presenting flowers and sending greeting cards.
Valentine’s Day symbols in use today include the heart-shaped outline and doves. The rose flower is also trendy.
Valentine’s Day ideas
Love is the universal language that transcends countries, borders, barriers, and differences.Susan C. Young
There are so many ways to express one’s love for their partner. You should ideally choose options that align with their primary love language or vital emotional needs. Doing that will ensure that you earn the highest love unit deposits.
Some of the specific primary love languages of couples include:
- Acts of service
- Words of affirmation
- Quality time
- Physical touch, including sexual intimacy
- Receiving gifts
Love languages work this way. So, if your spouse craves words of affirmation but instead showers them with gifts, you will not score many love points. But, in your mind, you will be puzzled about what you may be doing wrongly!
Acts of service, family commitment and domestic support
Passionate love is a quenchless thirst.Kahlil Gibran
1. Romantic Dinner: Cook a delicious meal together, light some candles, and enjoy a romantic dinner in your home. You can find fantastic dinner recipes on the Food Network website.
2. Help them out with house chores not yet done. Examples include dishwashing, laundry, vacuuming, and lawn mowing.
3. If you cannot assist with house chores, hiring paid help to complete them will be great.
4. Take their turn in caring for the children.
5. Take their turn in caring for your pets.
6. Cook homemade meals together or your partner’s favourite meal
7. Try to change an annoying habit, such as quitting smoking and controlling anger.
8. Try to start a good habit example, cultivating patience and better listening skills.
9. Arrange a surprise Valentine’s Day off work for your partner (if you can). Or try to leave work early.
10. On cold days, get up first and heat up.
Words of affirmation, affection and admiration
I like not only to be loved, but to be told I am loved.George Eliot
11. Send postcards, especially if you are away from your mate.
12. Send a love letter through express mail.
13. Tell your mate you love, adore, admire, cherish, desire, want, need, prize, esteem, idolise, revere, and treasure.
14. Write a love poem for your partner.
15. Post a unique Valentine’s message about your partner on Social media.
16. Buy and send them Valentine’s Day love card, which can be a physical one or an eCard.
17. Please list your partner’s good qualities and virtues, then show them.
18. Make it a point not to criticise your spouse during the week of Valentine’s Day.
19. Hide a love note under your partner’s pillow
Valentine’s Day ideas on quality time and companionship
A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seem too short.Andre Maurois
20. Spend time playing your favourite board games together
21. Listen to your favourite love song and dance together.
22. Go for moon or star gazing together in a Planetarium or the dark sky.
23. Undertaking a mini vacation on Valentine’s Day with your spouse
24. Go to watch a new or romantic movie together.
25. Go with your partner to watch their favourite sporting activity.
26. Go on a date night and enjoy good meals and drinks.
27. Go together for a rejuvenating massage session.
28. Go out walking together in the woods or nature.
29. Go lodging in an Air BnB or hotel for Valentine’s Day.
30. If you have kids, hire a babysitter to go out together for the Day.
31. Scenic Hike: Get some fresh air and exercise while enjoying the stunning views. Find a nearby hiking trail, pack a picnic, and spend the day exploring and enjoying each other’s company. You can find great hiking trail suggestions on websites like AllTrails.
32. Read aloud to each other in bed.
33. You can surprise your partner with two tickets to a play.
34. Trace your family genealogies together
35. Remove the TV from your bedroom and spend quality time together.
Physical touch, including sexual intimacy
Kiss: A contraction of the mouth due to an enlargement of the heart.Anonymous
36. Hug and kiss your spouse
37. Plan for sexual intimacy
38. Cuddle your partner in bed or in front of a campfire
39. Shower together or have a bubble bath together
40. Relaxing Spa Day: Treat yourselves to a relaxing spa day. Enjoy massages, facials, and other pampering treatments, leaving you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. You can find great spa ideas and suggestions on Spafinder.
Valentine’s Day ideas on gift giving
Surprise is the greatest gift which life can grant us.Boris Pasternak
41. Buy them a flower bouquet on Valentine’s Day. You can buy flowers in your local shops or at online stores.
42. Buy and send them confectionery such as a box of chocolates.
43. Buy your spouse a piece of jewellery, such as a pair of earrings or a necklace.
44. Buy your spouse’s favourite perfumes, makeup or hair care products.
45. Surprise your partner at work with a red rose
46. Buy them a beautiful outfit.
47. Collect beautiful photos of the two of you, bind them into a photo book online and gift that.
48. For drink lovers: buy your partner a bottle of their favourite vintage or Cognac.
49. Hide a greeting card under your partner’s pillow.
50. Make a monetary donation to their favourite charities.
“Love is an untamed force. When we try to control it, it destroys us. When we try to imprison it, it enslaves us. When we try to understand it, it leaves us feeling lost and confused.”Paulo Coelho
The key to a successful Valentine’s Day is to spend quality time together and enjoy each other’s company. Take the time to appreciate each other, show love and affection, and be in each other’s presence. These small gestures are what genuinely make Valentine’s Day unique and memorable.
I have discussed 50 ways to express love and affection to your loved ones on Valentine’s Day, birthdays, or anniversaries. Whether single, engaged or married, you can find a method that suits you.
Choosing options that align with your spouse’s primary love language is ideal. Doing that will ensure that your efforts yield the highest dividends. But, of course, what works for each person is different. Of all the options, the most popular are presenting flowers and sending Valentine’s Day love cards.
What are your preferred Valentine’s Day choices, and which ideas will you adopt?
I would love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks for your time.